Military Leave of Absence Policies

Students enrolled in an undergraduate academic program on the Main Campus (including the College, School of Foreign Service, School of Nursing and Health Studies, and the McDonough School of Business) the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (including the School of Foreign Service, School of Nursing and Health Studies, the McDonough School of Business and the McCourt School of Public Policy), the School of Continuing Studies, and the Law Center can find the Military Leave of Absence policies below.

Students enrolled in an academic program at the School of Medicine can find Leave of Absence policies here

Georgetown University recognizes that students who serve in the U.S. armed forces may encounter situations in which military obligations force them to withdraw from a course of study and that this can sometimes happen with little notice. This policy applies to all University schools and programs and is intended to recognize, and make appropriate allowances for, students who find themselves in such situations.

I. Military Leave and Refund Procedures

A. Definition

For purposes of this policy, a “military service leave” is a University approved withdrawal from a University course or program that is necessitated by service, whether voluntary or involuntary, in the United States Armed Forces, including service by a member of the National Guard or Reserve, on active duty, active duty for training, or full-time National Guard duty under Federal authority, for a period of more than 30 consecutive days under a call or order to active duty of more than 30 consecutive days.

B. Student Responsibilities

A student who is called up for active duty or active service in a branch of the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserve) and wishes to take a military service leave must:

Provide the University with advanced notice of such service and the intention to withdraw. As soon as possible after receiving military orders that require withdrawal from a program or course of study, a student must contact his or her academic dean, as well as the Georgetown University Veterans Office, and present a copy of the military orders or other appropriate documentation. This advanced notice can be made by the student or may be made by an appropriate officer of the U.S. Armed Forces or official of the U.S. Department of Defense. The notice need not include a statement of an intention to return to the University. If military necessity renders it impossible to provide advanced notice, the student may initiate a military service leave by providing notice at the first reasonable opportunity, in writing, personally signed, and with a copy of the military orders attached, to the Georgetown University Veterans Office, 3520 Prospect St., NW, Room 224, Washington, DC 20007; by FAX to (202) 687-2797; or by email to:

C. University Procedures

Upon receiving notice of a student’s intention to withdraw from courses or a program because of military obligations, the Georgetown University Veterans Office shall promptly contact the appropriate dean and campus registrar, who shall review the notice and initiate the military service leave of the student and notify the Office of Student Financial Services and the Office of Student Accounts. The Office of Student Financial Services will review the student’s eligibility for financial aid funds received before the time of withdrawal and inform the student about the status of his or her financial aid and about actions required to defer loan repayments based on military obligations. Students who are granted a military service leave will receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees charged for the semester or academic term in which they withdraw, but will be charged for housing and meal plan expenses already incurred. If the University determines that it is appropriate to award academic credit for work completed in the semester or academic term in which a student takes military service leave, the student shall not receive a refund for the portion of the course of study for which academic credit is awarded. No refund will be provided until the University receives a copy of the military orders necessitating the withdrawal.

II. Military Re-Enrollment Procedures

A. Definition

For purposes of this policy, a “military re-enrollment” is a University approved re-enrollment into a course or program after a military service leave.

B.Student Responsibilities

A student who has taken military service leave from the University or has had studies interrupted because of active duty or active service in a branch of the United States Armed Forces and wishes to re-enroll must:

Notify the University of the intention to return to resume a course of study upon conclusion of duty or service and present appropriate documentation. To qualify for military re-enrollment, a student must provide notice to the University within three years from the time he or she is discharged from military service or is placed on inactive duty of the intention to re-enroll. Notice should be provided in writing to the appropriate academic dean, as well as to the Georgetown University Veterans Office, and should include documentation (including an official certificate of release or discharge, a copy of duty orders, or other appropriate documentation) to establish that the student’s withdrawal was related to service in the uniformed services and that the student is able to resume studies.1 Military re-enrollment guarantees a student who meets these requirements access to the same course of study he/she was in at the time of withdrawal with no re-enrollment fee, unless a student receives a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge or has been sentenced in a court-martial.2 Any student who did not give written or oral notice of service to the campus Registrar or the Veterans Office prior to withdrawal because of military necessity may, at the time the student seeks readmission, submit documentation that the student served in a branch of the U.S. Armed Services that necessitated the student’s absence from the University.

C. University Procedures

A student who meets the notice requirements set forth herein will be granted military re-enrollment in the semester following the notice of intent to return, or, if the student chooses, at the beginning of the next full academic year. Upon returning to the University, the student will resume his or her course of study without repeating completed coursework and will have the same enrollment status and academic standing as before the military leave. The student will be charged the same tuition and fee amounts for the first year after re-enrollment as were charged in the semester of withdrawal.3 However, if military or veterans’ education benefits will cover the difference between the tuition and fee amounts currently charged other students and the amount charged in the semester of withdrawal, the University may charge the amounts currently charged to other students.

If a student is not academically prepared to resume a course of study in which he or she was previously enrolled or is unprepared to complete a program, the University will determine whether reasonable means are available to help the student become prepared. The University may deny the student re-enrollment if it determines that reasonable efforts are not available, or that such efforts have failed to prepare the student to resume the course of study or complete the program. A student who has been away from the University on military service for more than five years (including all previous absences for military service obligations after initial enrollment but including only time the student spends actually performing service in the uniformed services) will not be guaranteed military re-enrollment, but may petition his or her dean for consideration of military re-enrollment.4 A student who chooses at the conclusion of military service to enroll in a different course of study than the one the student was in at the time of military withdrawal must complete the regular admission and enrollment process for that course of study.


1. The University shall determine the adequacy of documentation with reference to 34. C.F.R. Sec. 668.18(g).
2. The appropriate point in a course or program for a student to resume studies, the timing of re-enrollment, and the determination of the “same course of study” will be determined by the University taking into account the unique characteristics and requirements of that course or program and the modes in which it is offered (e.g., non-degree vs. degree, evening vs. day program, special program vs. standard program). If the program in which the student was enrolled has been discontinued or is no longer offered, the University will enroll the student in the program that it determines to be most similar to that program or in a different program for which the student is qualified.
3. The appropriate tuition and fee amounts will be reflected on the bill that the student receives.
4. This cumulative leave of absence restriction shall be interpreted and applied with reference to 34 C.F.R. Sec. 668.18(c) and (e), which set forth rules for calculating cumulative absence due to military service.